Holiday Pet Safety
While certainly one of the most fulfilling (and delicious) times of the year, the winter holidays create a number of hazards in the home. Oaklawn & Cranston Animal Hospitals are happy to share some useful tips to keep your pet safe this holiday season.
- Keep people food out of the reach of your pet and ask your guests to do the same.
- Make sure your pet doesn’t have access to treats, especially those containing chocolate, xylitol, grapes/raisins, onions, currants or other toxic foods. Ingesting them can result in upset stomachs, heart arrhythmia, kidney failure and seizures.
- Don’t leave your pet alone in the room with lit candles, creating a fire hazard.
- Keep holiday plants (especially holly, mistletoe and lilies) out of reach of pets, they are highly toxic.
- Consider leaving the tinsel off your tree if you have a cat.
- Secure your Christmas tree to keep it from falling over if your dog bumps it or your cat climbs it; hanging lemon-scented car air fresheners in the tree may deter your cat from climbing it.
- Certain holiday decorations can be dangerous. Lights and glass ornaments contain toxic chemicals that cause internal irritation and bleeding. Owners should avoid placing decorations where their pet can chew on or eat them.
- If your pet is excitable or scared when you have company, consider putting your pet in another room with toys, a comfortable bed, etc., or providing a safe place for your pet to escape the excitement, such as a kennel, crate, perching place, scratching post shelf or hiding place.
- Watch the alcoholic drinks, unattended drinks may result in a dangerously drunk pet! It doesn’t take much for small animals to get alcohol poisoning.